Below we have some questions that crop up recurrently:

Q: Can I claim Free School Meals?
A: You will need to check if you are eligible by looking at our Free School Meals page.

Q: Can my child bring a bike to school?
A: Yes.  We have bike and scooter racks on the school premises where children can store their bikes and scooters during the day.  These are located near the KS2 playground.  We ask that all children travelling by bike or scooter lock them to the racks during the day and wear helmets (which they can store in their lockers).  The only children permitted to cycle to school unaccompanied by an adult are Year 6 children who have passed their bikeability course.

Q: Can my child bring a mobile phone to school?
A: Children should not bring mobile phones to school. If your child needs to bring a mobile phone into school, please advise us why it is necessary and  make sure that your child at the start of the school day hands the phone to the school office for safe keeping until the end of the school day.
Any child found with a mobile phone during the school day will be required to hand it in to the school office and collected by them at the end of the day.
The school will not be responsible for any loss or damage to mobile phones under any circumstances.

Q: Can my child get a drink during lesson time? 
A: The school has a very definite policy, based on research worldwide, on children being able to drink water throughout the day. A practice that is central to the effective implementation of this policy is that every child should bring a 500ml transparent plastic bottle filled with water each day. The children are then able to drink regularly and avoid dehydration. The school has water machines that dispense cooled and filtered mains water and the children can top up their bottles from these.
We have been a ‘water school’ since January 2002. Drinking water regularly has been shown to have marked benefits on a child’s ability to concentrate and learn. It is also an essential part of healthy living.
No flavoured water is allowed in school.

Q: Can my child wear nail varnish & transfers when in School?
A: Nail varnish and transfer type tattoos are strictly forbidden at school. Please ensure that if your child wears these items outside of school, they are removed before sending your child to school.

Q: How can I help my child’s learning when not in school?
A: Always take an interest in what your child is doing in school and try to add to their learning.  By being aware what homework has been set, reading to them, encourage them to read to you/on their own, by setting tasks where they need to use mathematics or think about what is happening locally and around the country/ world will enrich their understanding.
The following selection of website may assist you in structuring your help. Click on the sites below to see whats on offer.
Other useful websites can be found on our page “Useful Websites For Parents“.
Please note Palm Bay Primary School is not responsible for the content of any external website.

Q: How do I apply for a place for my child at your school?
A: Demand for places at Palm Bay Primary School is very high in each year group.

The waiting lists for each year group are maintained and held by us.

If a place is available in any of the year groups it will be offered by us using our admission criteria to the first child on the waiting list.  If the space is not required, it will be offered to the next child, and so on.

Parents have the right of appeal to the Local Authority (LA) in the event that the Headteacher is unable to offer a place and will receive written advice from the school how to appeal as part of their acknowledgment letter from school when they make application for a school place..

Admissions for during a school year:

Reception infants: The school admits 60 children in the September of the academic year (1st September to 31st August) in which they reach the age of 5. Parents wishing to apply for a reception place in September should do so via the KCC website.
 In year admissions: Parents wishing to apply need to complete an In Year Casual Admissions Form (IYCAF) available via the link below. Please send the completed form to the school.  When places become available we will offer these to children on our waiting list in accordance our criteria (see Admissions for details)

Please ring the School Office for any additional advice on 01843 290050.

Q: How is my child’s use of the internet monitored?
A: The school is well aware of the potential dangers of misuse of the Internet and has an effective policy in place. All access to the Internet is ‘filtered’; no child accesses the Internet unless supervised by a member of staff. Children are constantly reminded of what to do if they gain access to anything that they are not comfortable with.

Q: I have an issue concerning my child, who should I speak to?
A: If you have an issue concerning your child, please speak to their Class Teacher as a first point of contact as they are best placed to answer any questions.

Q: My child requires medication during the school day can the school administer it?
A: We can only administer prescribed medication when accompanied with a Parent/Guardian Consent Form (available from the school office) or downloaded from our website. Calpol may only be given in cases of emergency (where parental/guardian permission has been given).
Medication should be handed in at the school office.  Under no circumstances should a child bring medication to school.

Q: What is the earliest time in the morning that I can leave my child in school?
A: Children must arrive at school between 8.45 and 8.55.  Teachers are on duty from 8.45.  Parents leaving their children before 8.45 do so at their own risk as they will be unsupervised. The gate in to the play ground will remain locked until 8.45.
Any child arriving after 8.55 must report to the School Office.

Q: What will my child learn in their SRE lessons?
A: SRE stands for Sex and Relationships Education. It looks at many concepts including growing, changing and respectful relationships. The content follows curriculum guidance and is part of a whole scheme of work that is taught in Term 6. The resources used and content of the learning are clearly defined and age appropriate.

You can see an overview of what we teach in SRE on our website.